Monday 12 October 2015

SLIP HAZARD

I did some drawings for a collection of other people's words to be published by the end of the year.

Not all my drawings made the art director's cut so I'm parking the rejects here, with minimal explanation.

This one is after a painting in the National Gallery, Apollo and Daphne by Piero Del Pollaiuolo, circa 1470-80. I'm not expecting everyone to know the original or to care why I gave it Charlotte Proudman's hairdo. It's based on a Greek myth. Apollo's pursuit of Daphne was thwarted when she turned into a bay tree, Laurus nobilis.



















Make up your own story for this one...

...and for this...

For this one I bought an ice cream from McDonald's and got change for a pound.

After drawing it - or what was left after I'd carried it home in the rain - I tried to dispose of the remains. The gluey off-white sludge sulked in the waste disposal. I held the truncated cone under the tap: it remained coherent, expanded and gave me a cold floppy handshake so I strangled out the water and shoved it in the bin along with the flake.

I tried another version of this using a hazard warning cone. Look, I'm not saying all these drawings were of usable quality or anything. Sometimes you need other people to warn you.
 This is a victim:
I am not drawing puzzles to be solved, but Seven Types of Ambiguity by William Empson is in my current reading pile. Yeah I know, all that stuff I should have read decades ago.

I don't want all drawings - mine or anyone else's - to have the instant clarity of 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR'. Nor do I expect even that message to be without veils of ambiguity.

No comments:

Post a Comment